A mobile, submersible computing system for ocean exploration
Mariana is a mobile, submersible computer designed for Ocean Exploration. A glass sphere capable of withstanding depths of up to seven thousand meters houses the computer, battery and electronics.
Mariana is an ideal solution for developing a low-cost, deep-water instrument platform that can easily interface with many sensors inside and outside the sphere. Its glass housing allows easy image and video recording plus wireless, optical, and GPS data connectivity without any special ports. The Mariana system includes the following key components:
- 13 inch glass instrumentation housing
- Low-cost & light weight
- 7000 meter rating
- Configured with underwater connectors
- Optical polish optional
- Embedded computer accessible via WiFi
- Up to 712 Whr Lithium-Ion battery capacity
- Long life and low maintenance
- Highly corrosion resistant
- Suitable for passenger air transport
- Submersible computing node
- Submersible data storage
- Deep-water physical measurements
- Deep-water sound recording
- Deep-water imaging
- Deep-water optical measurements
- Autonomous profiling
- Data acquisition surface float
- Wifi surface float
- GPS surface float
||Depth Rating (m)
||Outer Diameter (mm)
||Glass Thickness (mm)
||Weight In air (kg)
||Net Buoancy (N)
||19 lbs (8.5)
||24 lbs (107)
- Underwater bulkhead connectors:
- Power, USB and 2 additional 4-pin connectors for interfacing external components.
- Vacuum port:
- Gas purging and vacuum sealing of sphere.
- Two 89 Whr Li-ion batteries (up to eight possible). ATX power supply (3.3 VDC @ 10 A, 5 VDC @
10 A, 12 VDC @ 12 A), battery status display and magnetic On/Off power switch.
- pico-ITX computer running Windows OS and accessible via WiFi through the glass.
Compact Flash OS installation.
- External and Case:
- MIL-spec SKB shipping case with foam padding.
Options and Part Numbers
Use the following part number plus any additional options shown below:
- Pressure test to glass rating with underwater connectors.
- Optical polish per hemisphere.
- Sealant band Terostat 81.
- Protective tape Scotchrap 50.
- Orange protective shell.
- Industrial USB hub.
- Integrated USB microcontroller
For example, to order the 6700m Mariana with pressure test and protective shell use:
Please Contact Us to place an order or to request more information.